my account

Frequently Asked Legal Questions

Find answers to common questions in our searchable FAQ.

1859 views   |   48   |   Last updated on May 04, 2015    Family Law

Texas law allows for the termination of parental rights in certain situations. When this process is voluntary, it is often referred to as "relinquishment," but a court can also order termination of parental rights, which is involuntary. You can read more about the procedure in chapter 161 of the Family Code. also offers information about terminating paternity. And you can find links to more information on our termination of parental rights research guide.

If you are looking for forms to use, consider borrowing an electronic copy of Texas Family Law Practice and Procedure from us. You would need to first register for a library account online, and then you can use the practice guide to locate information and instructions. If you still have questions about what steps you should take, it would be best to consult with an attorney.

browse by topic