my account

Frequently Asked Legal Questions

Find answers to common questions in our searchable FAQ.

842 views   |   1   |   Last updated on Oct 13, 2023    Small Claims

Small claims suits are filed in Justice of the Peace (JP) Courts. Section 27.031 of the Texas Government Code gives justice courts jurisdiction over civil matters in disputes of less than $20,000.

According to Rule 502.4(b) of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, a small claims suit may be filed in a county and precinct:

  • Where the person being sued lives;
  • Where the incident in the claim took place;
  • Where the contract was to be performed; or
  • Where the detained property is located.

According to Rule 502.4(c), you can also file the lawsuit in the county and precinct where you live if:

  • The defendant lives out of state; or
  • The defendant’s residence is unknown.

To find the right precinct, you may need to check the JP court clerk's website. Many counties have online maps to help you find the precinct number based on an address.

If you’re still not sure where to file your case, an attorney might be able to help. For more information on finding an attorney, please see the library's Legal Help page.

You may also want to review the library’s Small Claims Cases guide for general information about the filing process, links to sample forms, and additional resources to learn about small claims.

Related FAQs & Guides



browse by topic