my account

Frequently Asked Legal Questions

Find answers to common questions in our searchable FAQ.

1620 views   |   33   |   Last updated on May 04, 2015    Family Law

If you are attempting to correct an error on your birth certificate (e.g., a typo or misspelling), you can apply for a birth certificate amendment with Texas Vital Statistics. But for something more substantial like changing your first or last names, you will likely need to petition for a name change in the courts. provides instructions and forms for changing the name of an adult. For more information, check out our research guide on name changes.

browse by topic