my account

Frequently Asked Legal Questions

Find answers to common questions in our searchable FAQ.

1694 views   |   32   |   Last updated on May 04, 2015    Family Law

If you are attempting to correct an error on a birth certificate (e.g., a typo or misspelling), you can apply for a birth certificate amendment with Texas Vital Statistics. But if you are attempting to change a child's last name or remove a parent from the birth certificate, you will likely need to petition for a name change in the courts. provides instructions and forms for changing a child's name. And the Texas Association of Counties has an instructional video on YouTube about name changes. For more information, check out our research guide on name changes.

browse by topic