my account

Frequently Asked Legal Questions

Find answers to common questions in our searchable FAQ.

4822 views   |   5   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2023    Legal Forms Family Law

Changing the name on a property deed may seem straightforward, but this process is often more complex than it seems. There are many different types of deeds and changing a deed can have serious legal implications.

Because of this, there are no standard, "one-size-fits-all" forms to change the name on a deed. To best protect your legal rights, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney before signing or recording a new deed.

What about a quitclaim deed?

Real estate attorneys often caution people against using quitclaim deeds. Lone Star Law’s Deeds in Texas article notes that a quitclaim deed is not a true deed because it does not actually convey any real property:

For one reason, a quitclaim is not a true deed at all since it is technically not a conveyance. It merely "quits" any "claim" by Grantor to any right, title, and interest that the grantor may have in a certain property, if any such interest exists. It does not "grant, sell, and convey" as does a deed.

As librarians, we cannot determine which type of deed would be right for your situation. We also do not have any attorneys on staff who can provide legal advice. For more information on finding an attorney, please see the library's Legal Help page.

Researching property deeds at the library

If you would like to research property deeds in Texas, the library has legal practice guides and form books on real property in our Digital Collection that could be helpful. Many of these books explain how to draft legal documents or include sample document templates.

Please note that to access materials in our Digital Collection, you’ll first need to set up a library account. You can register for a free library account on our website.

browse by topic